Well, it’s been a busy couple of days. I apologize for not doing a real post since we arrived, but since pulling in on Wednesday it’s been a non-stop marathon of opening boxes, unpacking boxes, tearing down boxes and moving them to the shop, organizing our crap, and taking care of all of the little details that you have to take care of when you move into a new place. This might be a very long post, so feel free to take frequent breaks. I’ll start at the beginning (or at least where I left off last time).

The last time I really wrote here, we were in Kennewick, WA for our final night of hotel living. The next morning, we got up early and left Kennewick around 6 AM, Salem bound. The drive between Kennewick and Salem was absolutely gorgeous. We had mountains on one side of us, and the Columbia River on the other. The hills were gradual and small, which made the truck awfully happy, and we made good time through Portland and on into Salem. Here are some pictures from our trip:

The Columbia River

The Columbia River

Wind farms! They are so progressive out here.

Wind farms! They are so progressive out here.


Once we got to Salem, we stopped in the parking lot of a Big K-Mart and unloaded Celine’s car from the car trailer. We also had to clean up the second kitty accident (Celine calls them cat-astrophes, get it??), which makes two poops in the carrier over a six day trip. Not too bad really, it could have been much worse. Once the car was unloaded, we left it in the K-Mart parking lot and took the car carrier to the Penske place and dropped it off so that we wouldn’t have to try and maneuver that thing in our neighborhood, which probably would have given me a heart attack. From there, it was on to our new place!

When we arrived, the movers were already there, and while they did a pretty good job, we’re not entirely sure they were an “actual” moving company. They looked like two people that figured out how to advertise in the paper to us, but they were recommended on the U-Haul website, so who knows? There were two unexpected revelations during our move-in: 1) it was 101 degrees outside (what happened to those temperate Northwestern summer days?), and 2) we learned that the house doesn’t have air conditioning. We’re almost positive that our landlady told us there was air conditioning, but alas, that was not the case. Many places out here don’t have A/C, since it doesn’t get that hot very often, but of course, we picked one of the hottest days of the year to move into our new house. I’ll be honest, it was a pretty miserable experience, but we got it done. Once we did, it looked something like this:

It was like that throughout the house, but luckily we had competent management to help with the unpacking process:


Back to work!!

With that sort of oversight, we’ve gotten a lot of work done since Wednesday. We now have a completely unpacked bedroom, kitchen, and living room, and the office, is about 85% there. That leaves the bathroom, which will be a challenge because of its tiny size, and the foyer/sitting room/other half of the living room. We’re not sure what to call that yet, but there are still plenty of boxes in there to go through. But it’s really starting to feel like a home instead of a storage facility, which is nice. We’ll post some pictures of the finished product when it’s a little closer to the finished product.

One of the things that helped us get so much done was the fact that the temperatures have dropped significantly from our first day. As I type this, it’s a lovely 69 degrees here, with beautiful blue skies and a little breeze. That’s been the weather for the last 2 days, and it’s amazing to have this sort of weather in the middle of August. We’ve been sleeping with the windows open in the bedroom, but last night we had to close them because it got too cold! In August! I could definitely get used to this.

There were some obstacles of course, the main one being that the gas had been turned off here, which meant we had no hot water until they came out to turn it back on. They couldn’t make it out until Friday, which meant no real showers for us from Wednesday morning until Friday afternoon. Try moving furniture in 101 degree heat and then not taking a shower for three days, and then you will know exactly how awesome this was.

Now, I know you’re all dying to know how the cats are liking the new place. Well, they are settling in nicely, although Tortellini is very sad to see all of the boxes going away. Mr. Lawrence is still learning the lay of the land, and we’re changing it pretty regularly right now, but he’s found the bed and the litter box, so that’s all that matters for now. We’ve even let them out on our patio a little bit, and they are very excited about being able to go outside a little. I think they’ll be totally in love with Oregon in a few more days.

Okay, this post is long enough at this point. I’ll try to post a bit more later about what’s been happening since we got here besides unpacking, and we should have some good pictures of the new place soon. Thanks to all of you for joining us for this little adventure!